OMV in VM

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Hello,

Hope English works here also (if not i can "translate" later to german, but its more complicated for me ). If you might suggest me some thread/page even in german, it would be helpful.

Ive bought ASROCK-J4205-ITX MB, to build NAS,Media Server in one device.

1. VM for OMV
    2. VM for Kodi (probably openELEC)
    3. VM for OS server (win,linux)

ESXi/Proxmox will be on separate HDD (other than NAS HDDs)

but im facing issue with ESXi/Proxmox that when i create VM with OMV - i cant mount the physical HDD into the VM, it wants to create some virtual disk image on the physical HDD.

Reason i dont want to go this way is that i have already data on that drive (EXT4) and still being used in my "old" NAS Zysel NSA-325.
    It makes no sense for me to copy all the data into some image on the same HDD, i dont even have that much space left. Even for future system changes i would like to keep the data the way as they are now.

Havent tried to start KODI/Openelec yet on VM - this will be the next step

Any advice how to do that?

Thanks
  • Hi there,

killeriq schrieb:

Any advice how to do that?
    I wouldn't recommend that at all, because you have to decide - using virtualization or not mixing that up will cause more problems.

killeriq schrieb:

but im facing issue with ESXi/Proxmox that when i create VM with OMV - i cant mount the physical HDD into the VM, it wants to create some virtual disk image on the physical HDD.
    Yep, that's virtualization work like ... building VM's and tunneling/using physical Harddrives ("pass trough") is the worst szenario, look above - decide to use virtualization, then virtualize your Disks too ... or not.

We had already some threads in this forum, which had the same aproach ... with the same recommendations.

Sc0rp
  • Hi, thanks for the reply...

What could go wrong? I would use those disks (3x4TB) just for NAS purpose , OS and hypervisor will be on separate HDD.
    Main idea was to get rid of NAS Zyxel and Android TV player - after use just one PC for all that + other VM systems

Virtualize 3x4TB discs with 3x4TB VM images seems like non sense to me, as those data wouldnt be accessible without VM.
    Can you please advise which german words to search to find those threads?

Thanks
  • Re,

killeriq schrieb:

Can you please advise which german words to search to find those threads?
    Proxmox and ESXi should give responses ... i don't have currently the time for an extensive search, sry.

killeriq schrieb:

What could go wrong?
    Using an additional layer of complexity will make things easier? Really? ;)
    Passing through some things (in your case Harddisks and in case of Kodi some videofunctions) creates the most problems, and this destroyes the basics of virtualization. So i mentioned already above: do it right - concatinate your 4TB-Drives under your HyperVisor (use whatever you want, like RAID or ZFS), then create ONE (big) VHD for OMV ... done. Or use the other aproach: make OMV/Debian your base (even here you have to concatinate your Data-Drives, but one less layer of complexity).

killeriq schrieb:

after use just one PC for all that + other VM systems
    Yep, i had such a magic wonder all in one Workstation, but the concept doesn't worked for me, now i have it devided in a NAS and a separate HTPC, a BananaPi and a Gamer-PC ... this is working perfect, since my 230W-Workstation is not running 24/7 anymore. Only my LAN-Datacenter (BananaPi) is running 24/7 on 4W and manages the others ...

Sc0rp